Chicago is a city in Cook County, Illinois. The most populous city in Illinois, and the third most populous city in the United States, it was first incorporated in 1837.1
Margaret Anderson founded the influential literary magazine The Little Review in Chicago in 1914. When she was beset by financial difficulties she set up camp on Lake Michigan.2
Sherwood Anderson lived in Chicago on three different occasions. A number of his characters were inspired by people he met in rooming houses there. It was while in Chicago that his literary career took off.3
- The Chicago origins of The Little Review
- Lost Generation Landmarks – Margaret Anderson’s apartment in Chicago
- “Chicago,” History.com. Accessed December 3, 2020.
- “Margaret Anderson.” Encyclopedia Britannica. Accessed December 3, 2020.
- “Sherwood Anderson’s Creative Commute: Chicago to Winesburg, Ohio,” The Newberry Library. Accessed December 3, 2020.